Selenium is a semimetallic element lying in the group XVI of the periodic table with its chemical properties resembling sulfur. But owing to its relatively low electronegativity and large atomic radius comparing with sulfur, selenium also shows unique properties. This feature endows selenium-containing compounds with high reactivity and sensitivity. Although organic selenium chemistry has been developing very fast, the success introducing of selenium into polymer science is rather scarce. Fortunately, we have seen a drastic rising trend in the area of selenium-containing polymer for the past decade. Our research mainly focus on the preparation of selenium-containing polymers, their unique stimuli-responsive and dynamic properties, together with their diverse applications in the field of adaptive and biomedical materials.
- Xu, H.*; Cao, W.; Zhang, X.*: Selenium-containing Polymers: Promising Biomaterials for Controlled Release and Enzyme Mimics. Acc. Chem. Res., 2013, 46, 1647.
- Ji, S.; Cao, W.; Yu, Y.; Xu, H.*: Dynamic Diselenide Bonds: Exchange Reaction Induced by Visible Light without Catalysis. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2014, 53, 6781.
- Cao, W.; Gu, Y.; Meineck, M.; Li, T.; Xu, H.*: Tellurium-containing Polymer Micelles: Competitive-Ligand-Regulated Coordination Responsive Systems. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 136, 5132.
- Yi, Y.; Xu, H.*; Wang, L.; Cao, W.; Zhang, X.*: A Novel Dynamic Covalent Bond of Se-N: Towards Controlled Self-Assembly and Disassembly. Chem. Eur. J., 2013, 19, 9506.
- Cao, W.; Zhang, X.; Miao, X.; Yang, Z.*; Xu, H.*: Gamma-ray Responsive Supramolecular Hydrogel Based on Diselenide-containing Polymer and Peptide. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013, 52, 6233.
- Cao, W.; Li, Y.; Yi, Y.; Ji, S.; Zeng, L.; Sun, Z.*; Xu, H.*: Coordination-Responsive Selenium-Containing Polymer Micelles for Controlled Drug Release. Chem. Sci., 2012, 3, 3403.
- Ma, N.; Li, Y.; Xu, H.*; Wang, Z.; Zhang, X.*: Dual Redox Responsive Assemblies Formed from Diselenide Block Copolymers. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, 442.